Locomotive and Caboose
0-6-0 Locomotive #63
0-6-0 locomotive was built in November 1940 by the American Locomotive
Company (Alco) of Schenectady, New York for the Alabama State Docks
Commission. Number 63 was used to switch cargo at the docks in Mobile,
Ala., from 1940 to 1956. This was the fourth and last steam locomotive
ordered by the State Docks Commission from Alco.
Number 63 is
a standard gauge steam locomotive. This switch engine and tender
weigh 106 tons, was fired by coal, had a maximum boiler pressure
of 200 lbs., and its driving wheels are 51 inches in diameter. It
is 67 feet long and can hold 8,000 gallons of water and 10 tons
A total of about
112 0-6-0 type switch engines with tenders survive in the United
States. Typically, they have a brakemen's footboard across the front
of the locomotive instead of a pilot, and a similar footboard across
the rear of the tender. Generally they featured one of three types
of tenders: a standard rectangular tender (like ours), a slope-backed
tender, or a Vanderbilt tender with its cylindrical tank. The 0-6-0
was probably the most typical of all switch engines.
1957, #63 was sold to the Gulf States Paper Corporation in Holt,
Ala. In 1959, it was donated to the Junior Chamber of Commerce of
Tuscaloosa, Ala., where it was displayed from 1959-1980 in Jaycee
Park. In 1980, the locomotive was donated to the Bluegrass Railroad
Museum of Versailles, Ky. The board of trustees of the Kokosing
Gap Trail moved Number 63 to Gambier, Ohio in April 2001. It has
not been fired since 1959 and there are no plans to make this a
Funds to purchase, move and restore the locomotive were provided
by the community. Total cost of the project was $52,000.
& Ohio wood caboose
more than 100 years, the caboose was a fixture on the end of freight
trains. It has been called by many slang names: crummy, shack, shanty
and cabin car. The caboose provided a sheltered vantage point from
which trainmen could watch the cars ahead, cook and eat their meals
and where the conductor could do paperwork.
Ohio caboose #90776 was built November 1924 and rode the rails until
February 1979. It was donated to the City of Mount Vernon, Ohio,
in June 1979 and sat for many years in front of the former Pennsylvania
Railroad station on South Main Street. In October 1997, it was donated
to the Kokosing Gap Trail and moved to Gambier, Ohio.
was part of an order of 100 wood cabooses built for the railroad
by the Standard Steel Car Company of Baltimore, Md. These cars were
numbered 90700 to 90799 and cost $2,728.49 each. The style of this
wood caboose was a C&O system standard and other cabooses were
built by different manufacturers
to this same C&O design. The 90700-series cabooses were unique
in that they were built with a center cupola window and also were
the last cabooses built for the Chesapeake & Ohio that were
delivered riding on archbar trucks.
this caboose received little maintenance while sitting in Mount
Vernon. Windows were broken, the roof leaked and its thin plywood
sheeting was rotting. Volunteers removed and threw away the roof,
windows, siding, floor and sub-floor. Everything was gone except
the steel bracing. What a mess!
constructed, essentially, a new caboose. Installed were a new sub-floor,
new oak floor, new double-pane windows and a seamless rubber roof
(in place of the old canvas-style roof). The trucks (wheel sets),
frame and grab rails were sandblasted and painted. New yellow pine
tongue and groove siding was nailed in place on the inside and outside;
insulation was added in the walls and ceiling. Carpenters built
new bunks and cupola seats, crafted new window shades,
and everything got painted in official Chesapeake & Ohio colors.
The lettering was generated on a computer to match the original.
All the equipment, including locks, stools, lanterns and tools,
are authentic Chesapeake & Ohio.
work was accomplished by volunteers with donations of services,
supplies and financial support from the community. Total cost of
the project was approximately $14,000.
and Phil Samuell have joined forces to produce a 52-page volume
covering the detailed history of the C&O 90700 series
wood-sheathed cabooses built in 1924.
here for more info.